SnayL

New VS Hale map

I've just finished a new VSH map and was wondering if it would be possible to get it put on the vs Hale server. I play on the server regularly so if there are any bugs or suggestions i could get an update out pretty quick.  Also I'd be happy to put some advertisements for Phantom Gamers on the map in future updates if you guys are interested.

Here's a link to it anyways.

http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/189680

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT............

Some comments/screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/Z5yLf

Commands used:

• sv_cheats 1 (duh)
  • r_drawclipbrushes 1/2
  • vcollide_wireframe 1
  • showtriggers_toggle

Also, I'm not too sure how optimised this map is, but I was experiencing noticeable FPS stutter (no drops) even with just me alone locally hosting the map. Could just be my toaster, eh.

The size of the map is quite large, but you've got sufficient height variation I think, and also (mostly) stopped Snipers from going rampant with a healthy amount of tree props. Scouts may still be a problem, but at least Soldiers won't be rocket jumping infinitely like on Military Area or Reservoir.

All-in-all it has the potential to be a successful VSH map I reckon, so long as you keep working on it and responding to community feedback.

EDIT: Almost forgot that the ceiling clip brush is awkwardly placed, raise it up a notch.

Edited by Starblaster64
Missed a point

Thanks a lot for doing that. This is my first map so I expected it to be a bit rough.

I've just updated it so hopefully everything's fixed.

Not sure what to to about the FPS issues. I admit I didn't to much in the way of optimization apart from making a few brushed into func_details so that could be why. I'll look into it.

Cheers

There's only so much you can do to optimise a map like yours, since it's almost completely open and basically all areas are rendered at all times. More func_details probably wouldn't achieve much, if you've already made all the complex/detailed brushwork func_details.

As I said before, the FPS stutters may well just be my toaster of a machine, but it's still mildly concerning since I was alone on a local server.

I'll go through the new version you uploaded just to double check everything is fixed that I mentioned originally.

For your first map I think it's not bad, it is a bit rough and has all the issues I pointed out, but the layout itself is open enough for VSH (with room for improvement of course) at least and it's not awfully boring like some maps *cough*dust*cough*. It could use a few more prop_statics littered about the map though, just themed props that fit the theme of your map and provide a little variety (and juking ability) from the grass and trees. Don't go full Prophunt mode obviously p:

I might suggest you actually add a second building in the main pool of water, just to use more of that unused space and possibly create another way to get out of the pit. Of course you might go in a completely different direction since it's your map, but I think it's important to minimise wasted space in maps.

EDIT: I don't know if you've watch UEAKCrash's mapping tutorials (I'm sure you have), but in the unlikely event you haven't, go search them up and give them a watch.

Edited by Starblaster64
Just a quick thought

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looking back I can't remember what compelled me to make the map so damn big. If I make any more maps in future I'll be sure to make them a more reasonable size.

LAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKELAKE

Yeah there is a glitch in the map where you can get stuck in the corner

(Its in that short tunnel near the water)